We've seen his quotes on images all over Facebook and in writings. We recognize the name as soon as we see it but who is Rumi anyway? Before we share some of his best quotes here with you, let's have a sneak peek at the man behind the inspiration.
Born in 1207 of Persian decent (known as Iran now) Rumi was charming, wealthy and a genius. He was born into power and politics and had great influence over the people. Rumi was passionate about music, writing and dance to reach God. His poems have been transcribed on various formats and he is considered the world's most read poet. He met a man in his 30's that changed his life forever. Following the death of his friend (Rumi's youngest son murdered him), Rumi fell into deep grief which is where over 50,000 pieces of his poetry were inspire d from. There's so much more to him but in a nutshell, this is who he was.
1. You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?
2. Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.
3. The wound is the place where light enters.
4. Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.
5. What you seek is seeking you.
6. Before death takes away what you are given, give away what there is to give.
7. Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
8. Knock, and He'll open the door, Vanish and He'll make you shine like the sun, fall and He'll raise you to the heavens, become nothing and He'll turn you into everything.
9. Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.
10. Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life.
11. If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?
12. Be drunk in love since love is everything that exists.
13. The quieter you become the more you will be able to hear.
14. With the right person, you don't have to work so hard to be happy. It just happens effortlessly.
15. I am not this hair I am not this skin I am the soul that lives within.
16. Be a witness, not a judge. Focus on yourself, not on others. Listen to your heart, not the crowd.
17. Respond to every call that excites your spirit.
18. You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in one drop.
19. Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself.
20. Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
I've always been very fond of Rumi's quotes. His words and messages are powerful. Too many of us read these image quotes, think to ourselves "Oh that's a nice one" and then forget about it. It's important to take the time to read each one carefully, or any inspirational quote for that matter, and see how it can be applied to your life. If you take #20 as an example he is trying to tell you to ignite your passion and only look for people that will help you live out your passion. If you are passionate about starting up a new business then go do it and find helpful people along the way that are like minded.
Yes there is a powerful message behind all. Find it, read it over and over again if you have to, and then apply it to your life. Then sit back and watch how beautiful your life will begin to be.
Some Amazing Comments
Click The Book Cover Below Pre-order Steven Aitchison’s new book The Belief Principle: 7 Beliefs That Will Transform your Life