It seems in the last decade or so, inspirational quotes have helped millions of people around the world. Empowering words from some of the world's leading self-help gurus such as Oprah, Les, Tony, and Rumi just to name a few have graced Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. One of my all-time favourite inspirational women is Maya Angelou. Maya was a poet, an actress, a civil rights activist and an author having won several awards including the Presidential Medal of Honor. But she was more than all that, she was a bright light of love for all of humanity.
Her 1969 autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings made her the first African-American woman to have a nonfiction best seller. She was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize award for her 1971 poetry collection titled Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'Fore I Die . Maya died at the age of 86 in 2014.
Her words touched my soul deeper than most have. Though she has many beautiful quotes, I have summed up this article with 20 of her best quotes that happen to resonate with me profoundly. I hope you enjoy them and that you can get a deeper meaning from them.
1. A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face.
2. You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.
3. I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.
4. We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
5. Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
6. If I am not good to myself how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?
7. I know for sure that loves saves me and that it is here to save us all.
8. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
9. My wish for you is joy. When you wish someone joy, you wish peace, love, prosperity, health, and happiness… all the good things.
10. You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love.
11. I believe that every person is born with a talent.
12. It's one of the greatest gifts you can give to yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
13. This is a wonderful day. I've never seen this one before.
14. If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.
15. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make t he right decision.
16. It is sad but true that sometimes we need the tragedy to help us to see how human we are and how we are more alike than we are different.
17. All great achievements require time.
18. I had to trust life, since I was young enough to believe that life loved the person who dared to live it.
19. I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
20. Continue to be bold, courageous. Try to choose the wisest thing and once you've chosen the wisest thing go out and try to achieve it. Be it .
These quotes are powerful and in all honesty, a few off this list have driven me to be the best I can be. Which quotes hit home for you? Do you have a favourite Maya quote? Share it with the others below.
Some Amazing Comments
Click The Book Cover Below Pre-order Steven Aitchison’s new book The Belief Principle: 7 Beliefs That Will Transform your Life