It is first thing in the morning, you are on your second cup of coffee and barely moving. Sally on the other hand, she is on the move, she has already been to the gym, she is looking bright and sunny and is sharing her happiness.
Don’t you just want to smack her? Okay maybe that is a little harsh, maybe just turn her down a few notches. She must be related to the energizer bunny.
I bet you think that you could never be that energized… but honestly you can! You might not want to be an energizer bunny, but maybe a nice feeling that you are ready for the day and looking forward to getting stuff done.
Early to bed and early to rise makes and man healthy, wealthy and wise
You can just put into practice a few simple steps that will lead you to the energized feeling you are looking for:
- Become an Early Riser. It sounds counterproductive I know, but even getting up a few extra minutes earlier will set a tone for you day and it will allow you to fit in other really great steps for building your energy. These days I get up at 5am every day, it is beautiful and quiet and I am able to get all my energizing routines done in the morning before I start me work day.
- Get Enough Sleep. Getting up early does mean that you must ensure that you are getting an adequate amount of sleep for you. Everyone is different, so I can’t say how much exactly, but try for a minimum of six hours.
- Water. Ah, drink a cool glass of water as soon as you wake up. This helps your system get going after sleeping for several hours. Everyone has their own level of water as well. Many people say 2 liters a day, but use your best judgment and check with your health care provider.
- Get Moving. Exercise first thing in the morning lights a fire that lasts most of the day. While I am not a doctor, (nor do I play one on TV), a lot of studies and highly regarded fitness experts place a high value on working out first thing in the morning before your first meal. This fires up your metabolism and sets the stage for the day.
- Listen to Motivational Music/Audio Books/Podcasts. On your way to work or while you are exercising, listen to positive messages from experts who inspire self-confidence and energy. This is the perfect time to listen to all those CDs you have bought that you never find time to listen to.
- Eat your Wheaties. Avoid skipping breakfast at all costs. Breakfast is your opportunity to fuel up your engine. I am big fan of including plenty of protein in the morning meal to energize and set you up for long lasting energy during the day.
- Write Out your Goals. Whether you’ll be staying at home or going to work, clarifying your day’s goals will ignite your energy. Once you’ve written them, jump into action and get started.
- Most Important Task First. Now that you have your goals for the day, time to get at your most important one. This gives you a huge boost of motivation. I love putting those check marks beside completed tasks.
- Affirmations. What you say to yourself matters greatly and can affect your energy inventory. Setting yourself up with a great list of affirmations can motivate your through tough times, it can strengthen you resolve and it can just make you feel content and safe.
- Focus on Being Mindful – Deep Breathing. This one is wonderful. Sit comfortably with your feet flat on the ground, or laying Shavasana. Breathe out counting to 5, hold and count to 5, breathe out counting to 5. Repeat 5 times.Bonus
Aromatherapy. For example, the smell of peppermint can bring about feelings of energy and revitalization. Shower with peppermint soap. Use peppermint lotion to massage your feet and legs. Burn peppermint scented candles to take advantage of their aromatic effects. Smells so good!
Select one or two things from the list, start them right now. Play with them, test them out. See how they feel for you. Do you like them? Then adopt them into your regular schedule, if they don’t move on to the next one. Select another couple, repeat the process.
Increasing your energy ensures you’ll accomplish all that you want in your busy day. Plus, you’ll have the energy to really enjoy your life instead of resignedly watching it pass you by.
That is what you really want right? you are not concerned about becoming an energizer bunny, just having enough good quality energy to get you through the day doing whatever you would like.
Now go out there and have a great day!