If you’ve ever suffered through some time in an unhealthy relationship, you’ll completely appreciate the following tips for a super-duper, exciting, healthy, and SANE relationship. I mean, toxic relationships totally suck every bit of positive energy you’ve got, leaving both of you bone dry.
I’m sure you want your relationship to be the best it can be and in order for it to be the best, you have to make some effort to keep it fresh and healthy. Whether you’ve been together 2 months or 20 years, heed these 25 wonderful tips for a healthier and happier relationship.
- Laugh. As relationships progress, things tend to become more serious. Bills, kids, work, the growing “to-do” list, and other factors can get in the way of relaxing. Make sure that you take time to do something fun with your partner regular and laugh, giggle, and smile.
- Plan a vacation. You and your partner need to have time to relax and really enjoy each other’s company. A vacation will get you away from your everyday routine and make you remember why you fell in love in the first place.
- Give each other alone time. No one wants to feel smothered or feel like they are constantly being watched or controlled. Make sure that you allow each other to have time by yourselves. This gives you time to miss each other.
- Listen. Sometimes, you just want someone to listen to you, right? So be the kind of person who sits and listens to your partner’s epic stories of triumph and “woe is me” stories. You don’t have to join in on a pity party, but certainly listen and extend some empathy and compassion.
- Be patient. Remember the verse “Love is patient, love is kind.” Refer to yourself as love and be sure to be patient and kind.
- Compromise. No two people are the same and arguments are inevitable. It is important to come to terms about your differences and know how to compromise.
- Shut the bathroom door. Please remember bathroom etiquette. Just because you and your partner have been together for a while does not mean you have the right to leave the bathroom door open for everyone to see your business. This can go a long way!
- Snuggle. Snuggling is important and creates a feeling of security and love. Make time to snuggle and be all lovey-dovey with each other. This draws you closer.
- Figure out your plans for the future now. Discuss your financial and family goals. Find out if your partner wants kids, a house, or marriage in the future. These aspects are typically deal breakers in relationships so it’s important to find out where they stand now.
- Give gifts. Even if it’s just a little love note that you place in your partners pocket before work, this little love note will make them smile. Give little tokens of gift on occasion.
- Keep the romance alive! Plan a date night either out and about or at home. As relationships progress, dates can become less of a priority and this can affect your level of intimacy. Plan your romantic nights and make them a priority.
- Compliment your partner. If you are thinking that your partner looks extra sexy while getting ready for your date night, tell them. We all need compliments every once in a while.
- Do not forget those three little words. Hearing “I love you” everyday makes you feel special.
- Do not interrupt. If your partner is saying something, just listen. You wouldn’t want them to interrupt you when speaking.
- Support each other through everything. If your partner wants to try something new and you just know it will be a disaster, give them a chance anyway. If you feel it is a bad idea, keep it to yourself. Believe in your partner and let them give it a try!
- Keep yourself looking good and sexy. A lot of times as relationships progress, you no longer feel the need to dress or look as you did when you were dating. You may feel like “Oh well, I already got him and he loves me for me.” Please do not think this way. Keep the flame alive by looking fit and as sexy as you did when you first met.
- Say you’re sorry. Even for the smallest littlest things, please remember to apologize. This shows that you truly care.
- Be playful with each other. Life has many serious moments, but it also has a lot of moments that can be playful. Poke fun with each other. This gives you a chance to laugh together and have fun!
- Do not complain. Alright, I understand you are only human, but complaining about every little thing is not attractive and will cause you and your partner to draw apart. It is a serious turn off. Come up with other ways to express your negative feelings. Write it down, complain to the dog, or even sing it out in the shower but please, do not continually complain about small things to your partner.
- Be optimistic. No one wants to be with a Debbie downer. Try to look at the bright side of things- the light at the end of the tunnel- and be HAPPY! Don’t overcomplicate things.
- Accept your partner for who they are. Everyone has flaws. If you truly love your partner, you will accept their flaws and not try to change them.
- Keep your promises. A relationship is built on trust. If you make a promise, make it a priority to keep it. Do not break that trust.
- Trust each other! This is critical. Without trust, your relationship will fall apart. You can build your trust by making promises and keeping them. Let your partner know they can believe everything you say.
- Accept change. People change over time so why wouldn’t relationships change over time? They do. You need to learn to be accepting of change and embrace it with open arms. Change can be good, as it brings new experiences.
- Respect. This is so important. Treat your partner the way you would want to be treated- with love, compassion, trust, and RESPECT.
Go ahead and take these tips into consideration as you go about enjoying your relationship with your boo. You can have a remarkable relationship full of life and laughter, enjoying each day with the love of your life.
Wishing you the best!