Who can remember The Flintstones and The Jetsons? What about Winnie the Pooh and Dr. Seuss? We grew up with colourful shows that we were really only watched on Saturday mornings. Or maybe I’m just showing my age just now but I think most people reading this article can relate. Maybe The Flintstones didn’t really have any valuable messages to us except that maybe we should appreciate our cars today because they had to use their bare feet back in the stone age.
I’ve realized however that it’s not just the cartoons from yesteryear that had messages for us, but even most of the animated movies that Disney and Pixar put out. The kids may not get the messages but the adults sure do. We get it alright. I’ve compiled a nice little list for you of some quotes from some of my favourite cartoons, children’s books and/or animated movies.
1. I never look back darling. It distracts from the now ~Edna Mode, The Incredibles
2. I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then ~Alice in Wonderland
3. The things that make me different are the things that make me ~ Winnie the Pooh
4. Oh yes the past can hurt you but you can either run from it or learn from it ~Rafiki The Lion King
5. When life gets you down do you wanna know what you have gotta to do? Just keep swimming ~Dory, Finding Nemo
6. Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance. Like so many things, it is not what outside, but what is inside that counts. ~Aladdin, Aladdin
7. You’re never too old to be young. ~Snow White
8. Sometimes the right path is not the easiest . ~ Grandmother Willow, Pocahontas
9. Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart ~Winnie the Pooh
10.Today you are you that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is you-er than you. ~ Dr. Seuss
11. Always let your conscience be your guide . ~Pinocchio
12. If you can dream it, you can do it ~Walt Disney
13. Be yourself. No one can say you are doing it wrong ~Charles M. Schulz
14. The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of them all . ~Mulan, The Emperor of China
15. For a true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength but by the strength of his heart . Zeus, Hercules
16. Life’s not a spectator sport. If watchin’ is all you’re gonna do then you’re gonna watch your life go by without you. ~Laverne, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
17. Why fit in when you were born to stand out? ~ Dr. Seuss
18. Sometimes me thinks, what is friend? And then me say, Friend is someone to share last cookie with. ~ Cookie Monster, Sesame Street
19. Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever. ~Walt Disney
20. Just because I cannot see it does not mean I can’t believe it. ~Jack Skellington, Nightmare Before Christmas
If you read these sincerely you will see that most of them speak to adults. They are reminders for us to live, laugh and love. What were some of your favourite quotes from cartoon characters? Share with the rest.