Sometimes it just takes a few words to change the way we think and feel. It could be during a bad day or a bad week when we see an Instagram quote that affects us emotionally and picks us up to our feet again. Here are some of my favourite words that keep me going when times are tough.
1. A ship is safe in a harbour; but that’s not what ships are for.
It’s nice to be comfortable, but humans are meant to go outside and experience life with vigour. Don’t get too comfortable or life will slip away.
2. The fool didn’t know it was possible; so he did it.
Don’t let someone tell you you are silly for trying something new. Don’t impose boundaries on yourself. If you have an idea, engage it with all your spirit.
3. Let’s go invent tomorrow, instead of worrying about yesterday.
You must move on. Keep going. Despite regret you are harbouring for before, you have to look forward and continue life. So start building tomorrow, instead of rebuilding yesterday.
4. Don’t give up what you want most, for what you want now.
We are driven by impulses that let us enjoy our present – but no matter how much you are enjoying what you have now, don’t forget your true dreams and goals.
5. “I AM,” are two of the most powerful words; for what you put after them shapes your reality.
Forget about what others say – it is only you that can define your reality; so be bold, powerful, driven, positive, anything you want to be, and you will be it. Believe in yourself.
6. The few who do, are the envy of those who watch.
Be proactive and live your dreams. Do the unthinkable while others just watch with envy. Challenge life and take risks, no matter what’s at stake.
7. Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
We hear people complain about work all the time, but we never hear it from people who love their job. That’s because they’re not working – they’re just living their life, and loving it.
8. The time is always right, to do what is right.
There is no need to wait; be proactive and affect positive change.
9. The way to get started is to quit talking, and begin doing.
You’ve been talking about that trip forever. You’ve been talking about writing that book forever. You’ve been talking about making that nice dinner forever. It’s time to stop talking and start doing. That is the only way anything gets done in this world.
10. Better to get hurt by the truth, than comforted with a lie.
This applies all over life. Do not lie, even if you think you are doing better for it. Be truthful, rather than carry the guilt of lying with you for the rest of your life.
11. Don’t wait for the perfect moment.
Take the moment and make it perfect. You don’t have to wait your whole life for a special day or all year for that beach vacation to feel good. Use what you have now, and create the best possible situation with it.
12. If everything feels like an uphill battle, just think of the view from the top.