I think it's safe to say that even the happiest people in the world still get angry every now and then. In a perfect world, there is no hate only love, no anger only happiness. This isn't a perfect world. We all get angry. Some of us just have a different way of dealing with or showing it. And then, of course, there are those of us that totally lose our cool and well, you know what I'm talking about.
So, for those Zen-like people that do get angry but don't lose their shit, how do they do that? Why is it that some people can handle stressful or volatile situations with such grace and ease and others can't ? At the risk of putting Anger Management Therapists out of work, I'm going to share some simple strategies with you so the next time you are in a situation where you think you're about to lose your mind, try one of these instead.
2. Bite your tongue. Not hard so that you are biting it off. Just gently put your tongue between your teeth. You will see how this simple trick diverts your attention to something else and will instantly calm you down so you don't hurt yourself, or anyone else.
3. Clench your fists. The interesting theory behind this is that it takes energy to do that and also has that attention diversion thing going on. It refocuses your mind.
4. Breathe of course. You knew I was going to through this one there some where and why not? This is by far the best and easiest way to heal and get us through most of life's trials.
5. Have a drink of water. Ok so I get that the last thing you want to do is r each for a glass and drink water. Do it though. How many of you would rather reach for something strong that you think is gonna calm your nerves? Newsflash for you, your beverage of choice, if in fact is alcohol, will not calm your nerves. Have water. Nice and cold too actually.
6. Close your eyes. Often when we close our eyes we can shut out the vision in front of us and see something totally different in a split second. That 's the best part. It's instant. Close your eyes and visualize something else.
7. Count. This works. No matter how corny it sounds, do it. You can count to 10 or 100 or a million if you have the urge. Just count. Remember we're trying to be cool!
8. Repeat after me, thank you thank you thank you…. I know this sounds like it will be almost next to impossible to do but trust me it will work. No matter what the scenario, as soon as you feel your blood start to boil start saying thank you for things, anything, it doesn't matter what things just say thank you. Feel gratitude for anything other than what's going on now around you.
9. Laugh your arse off. Yes ok so another one that sounds impossible but the result of this exercise will blow your mind. Try laughing. Just laugh. Hysterically if you can. The more you laugh, the better you will feel and that's what this is all ab out, right?
10. Sing one long really high note. As high as you can sing. Let out one long note and hold it for as long as you can. Not scream, sing. Music is healing , so is singing. Very therapeutic. Try it.
Often when we are angry we say things we absolutely do not mean and never wanted to say in the first place. Remember once a word is said, you never get it back. The damage is done. Try one of these techniques instead so you don't have to spend a lifetime apologizing for hurtful words or actions. Do you have any neat tricks to calm down anger? Share them below.