Don’t forget great content
I have been working on an article for about 6 hours today. When I started
it I thought this is good stuff and its stuff I have used before and would
be useful to other people. I finished earlier on tonight. I left
it for an hour and then re-read the post. To be blunt it was utter rubbish. It
didn’t make a lot of sense and it didn’t read too well. To
my amazement I was not annoyed at wasting six hours I was delighted with wasting
I was delighted with the revelation of writing. I have never before
written a piece and thought it was rubbish, when some of it must be. The
fact is; I recognised that it was rubbish which shows me that I have become
a better writer, it shows me I am more concerned with my content, it shows
me that I care enough about my readers, it shows me my whole attitude to blogging
and writing has changed.
In the early days I was more concerned with putting something up rather than
the messages I was posting. Now I care a lot more about the content and my writing style. Much has still to be improved but much has already been improved.
The tips I am using
- Write about the things you love. The passion will always come across
in your posts.
- When you have finished writing your post, leave it for a few hours and
then re-read it, leave it again and re-read it.
- Unless you have a news blog, write 1 post every 1 -2 days. Writing
too many posts swamps the blog and your cornerstone posts will be missed.
- Research the topic you are writing about, it will add depth and knowledge
to your posts.
- Write for yourself with your readers in mind not for your readers with
you in mind
- Write shorter sentences. Extraneous wording is a sure fire
way to losing people when they are reading long sentences that have no meaning
and start to lose the plot a little bit like this sentence you are reading
- Grab the reader’s attention with a few lines for your first paragraph.
- Read ‘Ernest
Hemingway’s 5 tips’ from www.copyblogger.com
- Break up your longer blog posts with sub headings.
- Keep writing and when you’re all out of things to write about keep
I hope some of these tips helps your blogging as writing great content is the best way to attract readers and attract a following.