5 Ways your pet can change your life
Many people have pets and they are treated as are part of the family. I have a little Lhasa Apso dog called ‘Trinity’ (after the character from ‘The Matrix’). She is a little yelp but the most lovable dog ever. Trinity is part of our family and has changed out lives in many ways. Her personality is bubbly, excitable, loves strangers (pisses all over them most of the time with excitement).
It’s not only dogs that have great personalities it’s all pets, however Dogs and cats are the most common type of pet that people own.
There are programs all over the world called Pet assisted therapy, Animal assisted therapy and they are helping people with a host of illnesses and diseases.
- The most obvious way our pets can help us is to give us company. Pets are company to thousands of people all over the world. People, who would not otherwise have anybody around them, rely on their pets to show love and to receive love.
- Our pets can distress us. The very act of stroking your pet can de-stress us as well as giving energy to your pet. In the articles below it has been shown how stroking pets can lower our stress levels.
- Our pets as energy givers. I have come in many times from work drained of energy only to be jumped on, licked all over, pissed on a few times, from a little dog who says ‘it’s great you’re home, I’m so excited to see you’, and then my wife comes home and jumps on me, licks me all over, pis…….. only joking. My dog gives me energy when I have none.
- Pets have been shown to be great for children with autism, adults with Alzheimer’s, and other brain related disorders. As I said before they give people energy, they show unconditional love, and don’t really expect anything in return, except some food, some water, walking and a little love.
- Pets can give us something to focus on, which helps with concentration, it can help to fight depression, it can help people with disabilities, and they are energy givers, love givers.
- Dogplay – Visiting Pets and Animal Assisted Therapy
- Delta Society – The Health Benefits of Animals
- Therapet – What Is Animal Assisted Therapy?
- Utah Animal-Assisted Therapy Association – Animal Assisted Therapy FAQ
- Pets and People: Companions in Therapy and Service (Mississippi)
- International Association of Human-Animal Interaction Organizations
- Open Directory Project; a listing of pet sites and animal services available